The department was founded on the base of the Department of Therapy, which in January, 1978, was transferred into the Department of Cardiology and Functional Diagnostics with the help of academician A.V.Rutsky, who was rector of the Academy at that time. In 1999, the department was restructured into the Department of Cardiology with the Course of Rheumatology, in 2002— into the Department of Cardiology and Rheumatology. From 1970 to 1991, the department was headed by professor V.V. Gorbachev; from 1991 to 2008 - by professor A.G.Mrochek. Since 2008, the department has been headed by Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor A.M. Pristrom.
In the late 70th of XX century under supervision of professor V.V. Gorbachev, the following specialists were working at the department: associate professors I.N. Bronovets, V.N. Zakharov, A.Y.Reznik, assistants G.A.Vechersky, V.I.Vetokhin, L.G.Baranov, I.F. Kalinina, P.N. Kazhuro, M.S. Pristrom, R.A. Novikova.
In the early 80th, there were new specialists: A.G.Mrockek, V.P.Syty, V.S. Odinets, T.D. Tyabut, A.V. Khapaliuk.
In the 90th, new assistants were taken to work at the department: I.E. Adzerikho, A.G. Buglak, I. L. Polonetsky, A.M. Pristrom, T.A. Rutskaya.
There were also the following new assistants working at the department: associate professors A.E.Buglova, E.V. Rudenko, D.B. Goncharik, assistants V.I. Stelmashok, V.I. Tsykunova, A.R. Chasnoits.
At present, the department is represented by the following staff: head of the department, professor A.M. Pristrom, professors T.D. Tyabut, E.V. Kunder, Associate Professors A.E. Buglova, T.A. Rutskaya, M.M. Mikhno, S.M. Rachok, S.A. Kazakov, A.V. Pyrochkin, A.M. Boris, senior teacher E.V. Rudenko and assistant L.N. Maslinskaya.
Lecturers of the department constantly participate in the work of expert boards, problem commissions, Dissertation Supervisory Committees, Editorial Boards of Medical Journals «Healthcare», «Medical News», «Recipe», «Medicine», «General medicine», «ARS Medica», «Osteoporosis» (Ukraine) etc., are members of different world, European, Republican medical societies and other public organizations.
Programs of advanced training courses, retraining, qualification tests have been constantly developing at the department. The training pays a special attention to practical skills in clinical and instrumental examination and treatment of cardiological patients. The department holds 4-months courses of retraining in cardiology and rheumatology, 1-month, and 2-week courses of advanced training.
During the time of the department’s existence, more than a hundred specialists working as head doctors, division managers, teachers, high-qualified cardiologists were trained at the department. Foreign specialists from Armenia, Russia, Ukraine, China, Palestine, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, India and other countries have been trained at clinical residency and have done postgraduate courses at the department.
The vast majority of scientific developments were carried out by professors V.V. Gorbachev and A.G.Mrochek. In 1991 A.G.Mrochek was given a title « Honored Science Worker of the Republic of Belarus» and in 1998 A.G.Mrochek was chosen as an academician of the Belarusian Medical Academy, in 2004 — a corresponding member, in 2009 — an academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
Staff of the department has always been working on monographs, study guides etc. There are some of them:
- «Difficulties and mistakes in diagnostics of some diseases of cardiovascular system» (1978),
- «Diagnostic electrophysiological study» (1989),
- «Treatment of rhythm disturbances and asequence in patients with CHD » (1989),
- «Diagnostics of cardiological diseases» (1990),
- «Dyslipidemia» (1996),
- «Circulatory inefficiency» (1999),
- «Atherosclerosis and radiation» (1999),
- «Prevention of untimely and sudden death» (2000),
- «Pregnancy and heart disease» (2001),
- «Osteoporosis: diagnostics, treatment and prevention» (2001),
- «Vitamins, micro- and macroelements» (2003),
- « Atherosclerotic vascular disease » (2003),
- «Mind-body problem of ischemic heart disease» (2004),
- «Arterial hypertension» (2004),
- «Drug induced and drug-free correction of arterial hypertension in the pregnant» (2004),
- «Interventional cardiology: what we know about it» (2004),
- «Non-coronarogenic myocardium affection» (2004),
- «Algorithm of emergency care rendered to patients with ventricular fibrillation» (2005),
- « Prolapse of mitral valve» (2005),
- «Case management of patients with fibrillation and atrial flutter » (2007),
- «Pregnancy hypertension» (2008),
- «Ischemic heart disease» (2008),
- «Pericarditis» (2009, 2015), «Laboratory diagnostics of rheumatic disorder » (2013),
- «Gen-enged baseline therapy in rheumatology» (2014),
- «Modern conception of diagnostics and treatment of spondylarthritis » (2013),
- «Rheumatoid arthritis» (2014, 2016),
- «Cardio-vascular prevention» (2013),
- «Myocardial infraction» (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016),
- «Acute coronary syndrome without development of ST» (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016),
- «Acute coronary syndrome with development ST» (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016),
- «Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis » (2014),
- « Thromboembolism of pulmonary artery» (2016).
The manuals received a wide popularity among physicians: «Practical cardiology» in 2 volumes (1997) and «Clinical radiology» (2007). Staff of the department participated in the writing of the following books: «Reference book of general practitioner» in 2 volumes (1995), «Treatment of internal diseases» (1997), «Practice guidance on GP practice» (2003), «Pregnancy and delivery in women with heart diseases» (2004).
Staff of the department also consults patients at clinical bases of the department, until 1986 — at Minsk Regional Clinical Hospital, in 1986—1988— at 10th Minsk Clinical Hospital, since 1988 — 1st Minsk Clinical Hospital. At clinics modern treatment and diagnostic technologies, being actual of a certain period of time, have been implemented into clinical practice: functional tests (cycle ergometry, treadmill test, pharmacologic), evaluation of central haemodynamics, programmed diagnostic and treatment transesophageal pacing, ultrasound, also transesophageal, examination of heart, 24-hour monitoring of ECG and arterial hypertension, methods of interventional cardiology, performance monitoring and reprograming of cardiostimulators, ultrasound and X-ray absorb densitometry, ultrasound joint examination, diagnostic and curative arthrocentesis and etc.
Under supervision of A.G.Mrochek, in the 90th of XX century, there had been created Republican Center of Electrophysiological Heart Researches, and in 2006 — City Center of Interventional Cardiology. In 2007, with an active participation of professor E.V. Rudenko, there had been created City Center of Osteoporosis Prevention. Teaching staff of the department carries out hundreds of calls-out to different parts of the Republic, where they render professional medical care to their colleagues in the treatment of patients with complicated cardiovascular pathology.
The main fields of scientific work:
- Ischemic heart disease, unstable angina, myocardial infraction (on the base of the 1st City Clinical Hospital there has been City Center of Interventional Cardiology);
- Heart rhythm disturbances and asequence, differentiated diagnostics of Supra Ventricular Tachycardia;
- Evaluation of electric myocard instability (late ventricular potentials, interval dispersion of QTc), variability of heart rhythm;
- Evaluation of cardiovascular system condition in patients with diabetes;
- Study of cardiovascular pathology in the pregnant (with arterial hypertension, congenital heart condition and acquired valvular disease);
- Dysplasiae of connective tissue, diffuse diseases of connective tissue;
- Anti-thrombotic therapy, intravascular ultrasound, psychosomatic disorders of patients with heart diseases and rheumatic diseases;
- Evaluation of the condition of calcium metabolism in patients with osteoporosis (there is City Center of Osteoporosis on the base of the 1st City Clinical Hospital);
- Antiphospholipid syndrome.
Staff of the department carries out treatment and advisory work at the following divisions and healthcare establishments: cardiological units for patients with myocardial infraction № 1, № 2 and cardiological unit № 3, rheumatology unit, pathology unit for pregnant, units of intensive care and resuscitation, Center for Extragenital Pathology and Pregnancy at 1st Minsk Clinical Hospital; cardiological unit №3 for the treatment of patients with complicated heart rhythm, unit of intensive therapy and resuscitation №2 of 2nd Minsk Clinical Hospital; Republican Clinical Medical Center of the Office of the President of the Republic of Belarus; Minsk Center for Osteoporosis and Musculoskeletal Diseases; Professor’s Advisory Medical Center of BelMAPE.
Annually, specialists of the department consult a lot of patients, participate at consiliums, carry out functional investigations (echocardiography, transesophageal echocardiography, daily monitoring of ECG and arterial hypertension, exercise ECG testing, electrophysiological study, densitometry, coronary angiography, angioplasty, stenting, rotablation of coronary arteries, densitometry).